Custom printed spice labels are one of the most direct ways you can lure food aficionados (aka “foodies”) to your product because spice labels can engage with consumers on different levels through their design, functionality and product information. Spice and seasoning product owners can get in on the gourmet food trend since the foodie culture is all about eating and cooking high-quality food. Find out how to make your product more marketable to the discerning tastes of foodies with our spice label tips.
Think Like a Foodie…
The best way to attract a foodie is to think like one. That means driving attention to the fact that your spice or seasoning will take their food from good to “Wow!” Spice labels can be customized in a multitude of ways giving you a lot of freedom to express your brand’s personality while enticing food lovers’ taste buds. Below are five ways you can use spice labels to better connect with foodies so that they’re more likely to buy your product.
- Give recipe suggestions. Not all foodies are whizs in the kitchen, and even if they are, foodies love trying new recipes. Incorporate one or more recipes onto your spice with multi-layer labels or a QR code that links to recipe suggestions so foodies can have several ways your product can be used readily at hand. Better yet, create a one-of-a-kind recipe for your spice that can help foodies show off a unique dish to family, friends, coworkers, etc.
- Incorporate tasty graphics. You’ve probably heard the saying, “Seeing is believing.” Photographic quality graphics on your custom spice labels can show off what your product can do so foodies are more likely to envision themselves using your dry rub to make delicious barbecue or whipping up a variety of dishes with your all-purpose seasoning. (Note: You may need to hire a professional photographer to take high-res photos for best print quality.)
- Highlight special ingredients. If your spice or seasoning is a combination of several ingredients – like paprika, black pepper, onion powder, etc. – then it would be worthwhile to showcase those ingredients on the label beyond the Nutrition Facts so foodies can exactly see how your product differs from others. An explanation to why those ingredients are in the spice/seasoning can help flavor seekers better understand how the product pairs with certain dishes.
- Give them a story. You probably have a unique backstory of how your business got started or where you get ingredients – so share it! Most foodies like to know as much about their food as possible so giving them a narrative right there on the spice label will help them better remember your product the next time they’re looking for the perfect touch to a dish. A QR code is a great way to give more in-depth details about your company’s history, product ingredients, charity efforts and more.
- Pick your words wisely. Describing your spice’s flavor profile (i.e. its sensory impression like sweet, bitter, salty and sour) on the label can make the product more enticing because vivid words like “smoky” and “bold” sound tastier than a straight-forward product name or tagline. Spice labels with descriptive words and beautiful imagery are more likely to tempt foodies to buy your product than a label with little on it.
Take the time to think through your custom spice labels because they will speak a lot about your product and brand to consumers. If you would like to market test different label designs to see which works best, digital label printing is a cost-effective method you can use to print multiple designs in small quantities. Our label experts can also help you achieve the exact look you want with material, printing, and artwork advice so your labeled spice product can stand out and make a memorable impression.