Tips and Considerations for How to Market Barbecue Sauce
If your barbecue sauce labels and packaging could talk, what would they say? You’ve heard the saying “don’t judge a book by its cover,” right? It works great for books, but when it comes to food shopping, we associate the labels and packaging with the quality of what’s inside. And when it comes to barbecue sauces, there are a lot of players in the market, so eye-catching branding and packaging are both extremely important. Over the years, we’ve seen what works when creating a custom label that helps a BBQ sauce stand out from the crowd. Luckily, we’ve compiled some tips that should help you add some heat to your sauce marketing.
Establish a Brand
Your “brand” is more than the name – it’s the story behind your products. It’s what makes you unique, and it’s what people think of when they (hopefully) choose you over the competition. Having a well-defined brand makes it easier to determine the look of your packaging and how you will market your sauce. Fortunately, barbecue sauce buyers come from many demographics, so even the most specific branding can appeal to a fairly large audience. Here are some considerations to help you craft a brand that sticks in consumers’ minds:
- Do your research. Find out what your competition is doing so you don’t end up looking like another brand. Look for eye-catching designs and incorporate ideas from other brands as inspiration for your own.
- Add your unique spin. Make it easy to remember your BBQ sauce by sharing what makes you different. Build your origin story into the brand so consumers can make a personal connection.
- Find your “voice.” Your brand’s “voice” is the way your company expresses itself through messaging. If your brand was a guest at a party, would you want to hang out with it? Develop your voice as a representative of who you are targeting and the qualities you want to project. Once you have a brand voice, keep it consistent.
- Let a logo do the talking. The right logo can help communicate your message – when done right. Be sure your logo is in harmony with your brand’s voice so customers have a consistent message, along with a memorable image to look for on the shelves.
- Ask for feedback. Get an outsider’s perspective to make sure that what you think your brand is saying is not different from what others perceive. It’s better to know the ways your brand could be improved BEFORE investing in labels and packaging.
Create an Eye-Catching Look
Now that you’ve created your brand, it’s time for some fun. Eye-catching labels and packaging are essential in capturing customer interest and influencing them to buy. Let’s take a look at ways you can create appealing labels that work with the container so your BBQ sauce has a cohesive packaging design.
- Select a container. Options can include jars, bottles and squeezable tubes. Your label options will vary depending on the type of container you choose. For example, rectangle labels (film, paper and foil) work well on glass jars and bottles, but curved containers often have better visual impact with shrink sleeve labels.
- Determine shape and size. Before you or the label designer create anything, determine your label specs to be sure the artwork is designed in the correct dimensions. Depending on the container, you may have several size and shape options that will work well.
- Choose colors that fit your brand. Colors communicate without speaking. For example, orange symbolizes energy, vitality, adventure and warmth, but can also suggest a lack of serious intellectual values or bad taste. Different shades of green, on the other hand, can symbolize health, freshness, wealth and serenity. However, it can also signify inexperience. Ask yourself if the colors you’ve chosen complement your brand.
- Balance artwork and space. Resist the temptation to fill up every space on your label. A good balance of graphics and blank space will keep your design customer-friendly. On the flipside, going too far towards minimalist may look sparse, possibly not providing enough information.
- Make it easy to scan. Most purchasing decisions are made in a few short seconds, so label readability is crucial for getting essential information across quickly. Format text and graphics in a way that makes scanning the information extremely easy. Again, a well thought out layout with the proper amount of blank space will ensure readability.
- Add some sizzle. Consider using a special label material or print effect to enhance visual impact. We offer metallic and holographic materials, UV coatings (gloss and matte) and textured options, all intended to draw the right kind of attention to your sauce.
Your product’s appearance speaks volumes about the quality of the sauce inside. Working with a professional label designer can help ensure your barbecue sauce labels grab and keep those short attention spans. (Note: web and print design are different – make sure they have experience with print!) Click here to view our designer referral list.
Let us help you take your product’s packaging to the next level. We offer a variety of resources in our label articles and guides to help point you in the right direction. For more personalized help, call or email us today and connect with a label specialist to discuss your project’s goals and help you determine the right labeling solution for your barbecue sauce.